Saturday, March 06, 2010

Teaching Teachers to Teach

This long article in the NY Times Magazine brought to mind some thoughts about teacher ed:

1.  I wish I had gotten the kind of practical lessons in the craft of teaching described in the article:  46 how-to steps for classroom management would have been great to learn at the teacher ed program I was a part of (UNLV's graduate licensure program and related courses leading to a master's degree).  Instead, the classroom management class I took focused on different philosophies of teaching, which I had been discussing ad nauseam in previous classes.
2.  I wish I had the kind of practical "English Knowledge for Teaching" described in the article.  My university experience as an English major had so little to do with what I was doing in the classroom every day that I literally didn't know what I wanted to teach.  I knew how to write a lesson plan to meet state codes, etc., but I didn't know how to think strategically about what I wanted students to learn.

No comments: